Many older irrigation systems are inefficient and have become costly to run — and even costlier to maintain. If you’ve ever come home in the middle of a rainstorm to find your sprinklers running… you know that you’re wasting water.
Fortunately, with new, smart landscape technology coming out every year, having a lush and green landscape is easier and more economical than ever. Today’s irrigation systems offer immediate water savings, often paying for themselves over a period of years.
You can save up to 50% more water with a smart irrigation system. Don’t believe us? In this post, we’ll show you how!
What is a smart irrigation system?
Smart irrigation systems are a combination of advanced technologies:
- Sprinklers with nozzles that improve watering coverage.
- Irrigation controllers that can be controlled through an online app.
- Water conservation systems that monitor moisture conditions on your property and adjust based on their readings.
The traditional style of irrigation controller was a basic, time-based program that ran on a schedule. But a smart controller adjusts how much water it’s dispersing in a landscape according to real-time updates of local weather conditions as well as readings from soil moisture sensors.
While these controllers can “think” for themselves, you can also control them through a phone app, tablet app, or through a website. At Hutten & Co., all of the smart controllers we install all require a WiFi connection. Some can even integrate with your existing smart home system!
What are the benefits of smart irrigation?
- No wasted water! — By adjusting water use based on your local weather conditions and soil moisture, your controller will optimize the amount of water it’s dispersing. And because it’s constantly gathering real-time data on the amount of water being used, it “knows” how to always apply the right amount of water at the right time of day. This means no more wasted water!
- Find out how much water you’re using (and saving!) — Your controller’s app gives you access to all sorts of helpful data at the click of a mouse or tap of a finger. Most apps come with a reporting feature that compiles the data for you, so you can find out how much water is actually being used — and how much you’re saving. Most homeowners find they save up to 50% more water than a conventional system.
- Get alerted to issues before they become problems. — Whether it’s defective pipes, faulty valve wires, or a broken sprinkler head, your system will send you an alert. Think of it like a guard dog that protects you and your home by working for you 24/7. Once you know the problem, you can act quickly to prevent costly landscape damage.
- Get reports and alerts no matter where you are. — With smart irrigation, your landscape can be watered from anywhere in the world. One controller that we install has a “flow meter” that registers the flow of water through the system. Say you’re out of town and a major leak develops — the meter would send you a warning. Then, you’d be able to shut off the system remotely, either through your smartphone or a computer.
Beyond these four benefits, there’s an additional benefit that we really love — stewardship of our resources and natural environment. Preventing flooding, erosion and wasted water is great for the delicate ecosystems in the Grey and Bruce Counties.
Not only will you save money by upgrading — but you’ll also be helping the plants and animals that call our region home!
Want some help?
If you’re ready to start saving water — and saving money at the same time — ask us about upgrading to a smart irrigation system on your property.